Load shedding, corruption and crime. We all know what South Africa's biggest problems are, but we are tired of only complaining. What about the people who build and fix? Moaning and groaning alone will get us nowhere. It's time to talk about building the country of our dreams.
The return of News24's On The Record Summit to Cape Town will provide a robust platform for honest discussions by leaders who understand the nation's myriad of challenges, but offer solutions to save South Africa from further social, political and economic collapse.
This year, News24 in partnership with Nedbank will host two summits about the future of South Africa, following the success of the inaugural summit in September last year.
On the Record with News24 will first come to Cape Town on Thursday 25 May at the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC).
The second leg of the thought leadership event will be in Johannesburg on Thursday 31 August at the Kyalami International Convention Centre.
On the Record Programme - Cape Town
8:00 - 8:45 Registration, everyone to be seated by 9 am
9:10 - 9:30 Introduction and welcome: Devi Sankaree Govender and Adriaan Basson
9:30 - 10:00 Fireside chat: Adriaan Basson discusses the state of the nation with Qaanitah Hunter, Sikonathi Mantshantsha and Pieter du Toit.
10:00 - 10:45 - Panel 1: The kingmakers
Facilitator: Qaanitah Hunter
(Assistant Editor: Politics and Opinions)
- John Steenhuisen, Leader of the DA
- Herman Mashaba, Leader of ActionSA
- Songezo Zibi, Leader of Rise Mzansi
- Mmusi Maimane, Leader of Build One South Africa
10:45 - 11:15 Tea
11:15 - 12:00 - Panel 2: Why are we still doing business here?
Facilitator: Helena Wasserman
(News24 Business Editor)
- Ciko Thomas, Nedbank Group Managing Executive, Retail and Business Banking
- Mike Abel, Founding Partner & Executive Chairman of M&C Saatchi Group South Africa
- Busisiwe Mavuso, CEO of BLSA
- Delphine Govender, Co-founder of Perpetua
12:00 - 12:45 - Panel 3: Gangland: has organised crime subsumed us?
Facilitator: Tammy Petersen
(News24 Specialist Writer)
- General Shadrack Sibiya, Component Head of Organised Crime Investigations at SAPS
- Anton du Plessis, Deputy national director of public prosecutions
- Lynn Phillips, Cape Flats Safety Forum
12:45 - 13:45 Lunch
13.45 - 14:30 - Panel 4: The sixth extinction: can we move the ETA?
(News24 Sustainability Journalist)
14:30 - 15:15 - Panel 5: How to fix a city
Facilitator: Adriaan Basson
- Geordin Hill-Lewis, Mayor of Cape Town
- Retief Odendaal, Mayor of Nelson Mandela Bay
- Thembi Nkadimeng, COGTA Minister
- Sithole Mbanga, CEO of SA Cities Network
15:15 - 16:00 - Panel 6: Fixers, builders and changemakers
Facilitator: Bongekile Macupe
(News24 Deputy Political Editor)
- Kholwani Simelane, Advocacy officer at The Green Connection
- Lukhona Mnguni, Head of Policy and Research at the Rivonia Circle
- Zackie Achmat, Director of Unite Behind
- Dr Nwabisa Makaluza, Head of Research and Development at Funda Wande.
16:00 - 18:00 Coffee